RE: Is there a term for this?

Subject: RE: Is there a term for this?
From: "Rochelle McAndrews" <rmcandrews -at- csiu -dot- org>
To: "John J. McDermott, CPLP" <jjm -at- jkintl -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 12:04:56 -0500

In my husband's work in electronics, when end-users create their own
issues, his service tickets sometimes go back to home office with the
code ID - 10 - T User (or shortened to ID10T) as the problem/resolution.
The business owners and office staff as well as the rest of the service
group all know what that term means. More than once, he's found and
unwrapped for equipment users the User Manual that came with their
three-year-old machine, and even shown them how to look up the
information that could have saved their company the $80.00+ per hour
that they are billed to have a service guy come out and read the manual
to them to "get them started". If I were not a Technical Writer whose
work he respects, I'm not sure how he would spend the "show & tell" part
of his on-site visit. However, since it's become typical for CDs (rather
than shrink-wrapped, printed manuals) to accompany the type of equipment
he services, he's been told: Oh, that, it was on CD but we must have
tossed it out with the box and wrapping before anyone printed it out.
I've always liked the term: GIGO (garbage in, garbage out) myself,
because it's more related to the system's ability to process only what
it's given rather than blaming the user's intellect or lack of
information-retrieval skills, outright.
-----Original Message-----
John J. McDermott, CPLP wrote:
When I did customer support the term was PICNIC error: Problem In Chair,

Not In Computer

Joe Weinmunson <litlfrog -at- gmail -dot- com>wrote:
> Is there a term for this?

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- web -dot- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit for more resources and info.

Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our online magazine at

Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public email archives @


Is there a term for this?: From: John J. McDermott, CPLP

Previous by Author: Re: Linked-In: Your Skills' Desirability Is Cratering Year Over Year
Next by Author: Re: Yay or Nay
Previous by Thread: Re: Stupid users (was Re: Is there a term for this?)
Next by Thread: RE: Is there a term for this?

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads