Re: cloud backup services, for EXE files ?

Subject: Re: cloud backup services, for EXE files ?
From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>, "Laura Lemay" <lemay -at- lauralemay -dot- com>, "Katherine Noftz Nagel" <lists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 11:18:54 -0800

Do they allow you to strongly encrypt your data on
its way to storage?

Yes, all the ones I've looked at do strongly encrypt the data. And Carbonite even allows you to have control of your own keys (vs. having them hold your keys) -- not recommended because if you lose the keys you've lost all ability to decrypt your data, but if you're really paranoid about not allowing the backup company to be able to see the data, you can keep it private.

And the ones I've looked at clearly spell out their security policies. They've been acceptable enough to all my clients, even a security firm. And I do tell all my clients (in the contract) that I will be doing secure online backups. Nobody has balked yet.

-Monique