Re: CareerTrack reviews?

Subject: Re: CareerTrack reviews?
From: Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 10:43:24 -0800

I was a presenter for two companies in the seminar business back in the
'90s. I followed CareerTrack as best as I could, thinking that they may be
a future employer of mine should the need ever arise to jump ship. Through
my own informal study of them, I determined that that theirs was a
third-rate program when compared to the companies with which I was
affiliated. Ultimately, it became readily apparent that it would have been
a huge comedown to ever have hooked up with them.

Once I left the seminar field, my wife took one of their courses (I forget
the title) and was underwhelmed. Her experience confirmed everything that I
had long suspected about CareerTrack.

I believe your cohort would be far better served to do a self-study,
relying on published volumes. Then he (she) should equip himself with the
standard volumes, e.g., *Chicago Manual of Style*, *Strunk & White*, *The
Gregg Reference Manual*, et al.

I believe that the best proofreaders inherently possess the skill and
cannot really be trained (except in relation to certain grammar nuances).
If he is a regular newspaper/website reader and can instantly spot errors
without trying, then proofreading is a good avenue for him. If he has to
pick it up from scratch and--as an adult--is not already both
detail-oriented and a bit of a "grammar snob", then he shouldn't consider
this role. The best proofreaders are also avid readers, being the type who
most often has his nose into some printed material if eating alone.

> Chris

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help