Re: Mac laptops and Tech Comm

Subject: Re: Mac laptops and Tech Comm
From: Phil Snow Leopard <philstokes03 -at- googlemail -dot- com>
To: "techwrl (techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 10:34:58 +0700

> Actually some people I know prefer the professional tools they
> can get for Windows, over the offerings for Mac. It's not
> black and white.

And it's becoming increasingly less clear what direction Apple are heading with their computer range. This year they will drop the name 'Mac' from 'Mac OS X'. The new operating system due out later in 2012 ('Mountain Lion') will just be called 'OS X'. This is widely seen as reflecting the general 'iOS-ification' of Apple's computers, where the target market seems to be less centred around creative professionals doing heavy-duty power work and more on 'non-techie' home users looking for an integrated digital entertainment solution (Apple TV, iPhone, iPad, MacBook Air).

If you're planning for long-term investment in hardware and software that you can be fairly sure will be supported going forward into the future, the changes to Mac and Apple's direction since last July do not suggest Apple is a safe or wise bet at the moment.

Phil
Tech Writer
http://applehelpwriter.com

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help