Re: Mixed capitalization for marketing brochures - what do you think?

Subject: Re: Mixed capitalization for marketing brochures - what do you think?
From: Caroline Tabach <caroline -dot- tabach -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Debbie Hemstreet <D_Hemstreet -at- rambam -dot- health -dot- gov -dot- il>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 09:56:55 +0200

We keep to regular punctuation rules in brochures,
but at any rate, the main thing is to be consistent.

I think the headings on 3,4,5,6, should be the same as in the other pages
not all caps.

If the graphic artist is not an English speaker (or even if they are), then
they probably do not really know what they are talking about.

There should be a style for headings according to levels and a style for
the paragraphs.

In short, you are right if you think you need to fix this all!

2012/3/5 Debbie Hemstreet <D_Hemstreet -at- rambam -dot- health -dot- gov -dot- il>

> Hi All,
>
> Long time since I've written, am writing from my new job in Israel...
>
> I'm working on a marketing brochure and would like to know if there are
> any standards when it comes to how capitalization is used in marketing
> brochures.
>
> I have a proposal from a graphic artist which, in general, I am pleased
> with, but I'm a bit disconcerted by the following:
> This is an 8 page brochure that has two inside folds, when opened, it
> looks like this
>
> Unopened: Page 1 (flip and see back, page 8)
>
> First opening: Page
>
> Second opening: Page 2 and page 7
>
> Flip open page 2 and page 7 and see: page 3, 4, 5, and 6 in one large
> spread
>
> My problem is the use of capitalization, but the artist says that since
> its art, it's OK. I'm not sure.
>
> Referring to above page numbers
>
> Page 1: all small letters - looks very impressive though
> Page 2 and Page 7 - First letter caps for nouns, verbs, etc. in titles,
> standard capitalization for paragraphs.
> Again, looks very impressive
> Pages 3,4,5,6: Headings are ALL CAPS
> Page 8 - One heading is all caps, and then a sentence is presented as a
> heading but it is first letter caps throughout the sentence.
>
> ---------------------
>
> I think this is just too much different capitalization. For simplicity,
> I'd rather have it all be one style throughout, but then differentiation
> throughout becomes a bit of a problem if we go with the no capitalization
> style (already done in another brochure which looks quite nice).
>
> What do you think?
>
> Opinions?
>
> Ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Deborah
>
> Debbie
> ×××××
> _____________________
> Deborah Hemstreet
> English Editor
> Rambam Health Care Campus

> PineApp Mail-SeCure for the presence of malicious code, vandals & computer
> viruses.

> Create and publish documentation through multiple channels with
> Doc-To-Help. Choose your authoring formats and get any output you may need.
>
> Try Doc-To-Help, now with MS SharePoint integration, free for 30-days.
>
> http://bit.ly/doc-to-help

> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as caroline -dot- tabach -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> info.

> magazine at http://techwhirl.com

Caroline Tabach
Technical Writer
e-mail: caroline -dot- tabach -at- gmail -dot- com

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help