RE: Seeking advice on leading an interview for a technical

Subject: RE: Seeking advice on leading an interview for a technical
From: Alison Wyld <alison -dot- wyld -at- wyld-home -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 11:23:17 +0100

Just another point. If you are interviewing candidates who will have to
make an international move in order to take up the post, you might want to
do a little informal digging to find out what their needs and expectations
are, as the number 1 cause of an international move failing is inability to
settle in a new location, especially as it impacts family. For example, you
mention non-EU candidates. Does that mean you might have a scenario
involving a spouse who doesn't have a work permit, or children who don't
speak the language? Has your candidate really thought about what this will
mean? Is the family prepared to treat the thing as an opportunity or
adventure, or is there a risk of you losing a good colleague in 6 months
because their kids can't settle? (In fact, there is always this risk, but
you can at least be alert to it.) We once lost a perfectly
good colleague because she hadn't really grasped before coming that she
wouldn't be able to live her day to day life entirely in English... Another
worked out well but needed a lot of support during the move because he had
a big dog. (Its much more complicated to import a dog than you would
think.) You need to tread carefully because of employment law, but be alert
for this kind of factor that you don't need to think about when making a
purely local hire.

cheers

Alison

Thank you all for your quality answers.