Re: More Low Paying Jobs

Subject: Re: More Low Paying Jobs
From: "William Sherman" <bsherman77 -at- embarqmail -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 21:16:52 -0400

My feeling is knowledge is power. It never hurts to know what is being paid and how everyone feels about it.

1. I worked a place once that I drastically underbid my rate. It seemed ok at the time, but I found that everyone was much higher than me, by a significant amount. If I had known they were getting more, I'd have had mine higher going in, too. And as it ended up, a few of them higher than me were let go because they couldn't do the job and I ended up being the lead on the group. It paid off in the long run, as I got another job with the same group a couple of months later, but it would have been nice to get that extra pay.

2. Suppose you have been out of touch with rates, working for Big Technical Company and suddenly find you are laid off. You have been fat, dumb, and happy the last twenty years because everything was taken care of there, but now, you have to deal with the real world again. You jump at $13 an hour because it seems so high compared to the media's take that everyone is making $8 an hour. Of course, if you had found this type of information sooner, you'd have found that $13 is considered secretary pay and that everyone here is making $75 to $100. Now you feel really bad. Had you known the going rate was $75 to $100, you could have held out for $20 at least in the negotiations and used that as leverage.

3. You are sitting in a job you aren't real happy about, and considering jumping. But now you see all the jobs seem to pay $13 an hour and your crummy job that pays $30 suddenly looks a lot better.

4. Not long ago I found information about a well-known aircraft company that has been paying $32 an hour for the last 4 years. However, I found that some can get $34 and others $36 and that helps me negotiate. Also, discovering they used 4 day work weeks helps figure out if it is a situation that will work or not.

5. I'm sure there is some occasional looks at lists like these by companies and if they see we are well aware of their pitiful pay, and let the world know how bad it is, they may be forced to pay decent wages to get someone.

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Posada" <jposada99 -at- gmail -dot- com>