RE: Post on Technical Writing vs. Technical Communication

Subject: RE: Post on Technical Writing vs. Technical Communication
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 10:03:50 -0700

Bill Swallow wrote:

> But if you write technical documentation, then yes, you are a
> technical writer. It's the most descriptive term for what you do. If
> you go beyond that to also write a myriad of supporting pieces that
> find their way into marketing, sales, support, research, and social
> spheres, then maybe technical writer is not the most descriptive title
> for you to use. Overworked & Overdistributed Content Junkie might
> work. ;) Or, Technical Communicator.

Cute, but I don't follow the logic.

If you "_write_ technical documentation," you're a technical writer. But if you "_write_ a myriad of" other stuff, you should replace the word _writer_ in your title?

Seems to me it makes more sense to replace _technical_ with a term that encompasses that myriad of _other_ stuff that you _write_. :-)

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom