RE: Post on Technical Writing vs. Technical Communication

Subject: RE: Post on Technical Writing vs. Technical Communication
From: "Robert Heizman" <rheizman -at- vjt -dot- com>
To: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>, "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 13:12:33 -0400

In 30+ years as a Technical Writer, I have come to the following
conclusions:

1. Most companies see Technical Writing as a necessary evil because
it's non-revenue generating in many cases
2. Most engineers think they can write. They cannot.
3. TWs are the last hired and first fired
4. Some might understand what we do, but rare is the person who
understands what it takes to do what we do. That's why we get things in
the 11th-hour and are expected to produce on time, quality products.
5. If you are looking for respect, become an engineer

Anyone I have come into contact with (and there have been many) who
thinks just anyone can do what we do is always shot down when I get
their documents to correct.

I used to get caught up in this thought pattern, but who cares what
people see me as? It's not going to affect what I do or how I do it.
Know what I care about? A month into my present job, after producing a
few manuals, an Engineer states in a meeting, "Finally, We have manuals
we can give to the customer." That's what I care about.

Oh, and I care if my pay is in my account every other Friday. :)

Bob