API - Suggestions on Document

Subject: API - Suggestions on Document
From: Roberta Hennessey <rahennessey -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: tech writer tech writer <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 14:47:29 -0400

I have been tasked to write a new version of existing API docs.

The audience for this new document is both technical and very
non-technical. The API is a .NET web services (asmx files). My idea is to
create a very basic, simple, introductory concept chapter and include
simple graphics (and maybe a work flow doc) to explain what an API does and
how the two parts of this one work.

I am writing in Word, converted to pdf and the document is used both online
and hard copy. I can think of some innovative ways to use bookmarks and
links in Word for the online users but what I'm really after is using the
graphics to convey how the API works.

I wonder if anyone on the list has used graphics or seen really good
example of using graphics to explain a work flow. Work flow diagrams are
fine, but really non-technical users need simple line art (IMHO). I'm
asking if anyone can point me to some of their favorite "graphics
explaining how something works" so I could learn by example and/or get my
creative juices flowing.

Any suggestions appreciated. No time to plan to use other types of docs,
etc.

Thank you.

Bobbi

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help