Re: tech writing recruiters

Subject: Re: tech writing recruiters
From: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: Kari Gulbrandsen <kkgulbrandsen -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 09:15:49 -0700

The ideal recruiter is one who is under contract to the actual client. You
can sometimes recognize them because they will email you from an address in
the client's domain.

For most of the vulture recruiter emails I get (I hardly ever get calls
anymore, and those who do call leave messages telling me they're going to
follow up with an email and I wait for that), you can copy one of the more
job-specific lines from the position description they send you into Google
and more often than not it will take you to the listing on the client
employer's own web site. Then you can use LinkedIn or your own network to
try to find an inside contact.

Job shops often try to low-ball you for contract work. Recruiters trying
to find candidates for direct-hire positions make larger commissions if you
get a higher starting salary. If a recruiter doesn't say upfront whether
the job is contract or direct and won't tell you, you can assume it's
probably contract.

Gene Kim-Eng

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help