RE: tech writing recruiters

Subject: RE: tech writing recruiters
From: "Porrello, Leonard" <lporrello -at- illumina -dot- com>
To: Ken Poshedly <poshedly -at- bellsouth -dot- net>, Kat Kuvinka <katkuvinka -at- hotmail -dot- com>, "bsherman77 -at- embarqmail -dot- com" <bsherman77 -at- embarqmail -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 15:42:18 +0000

I tend to think that this is a very complex issue that many factors play into. From what I have seen (in the past 15 years), year of birth alone is not a factor. What does factor in is a perception of the traits our society (unfortunately) associates with "older" people: insecurity, indecision, inflexibility, cognitive decline, and bad health. If you are 20- or 30-something and you have any one of these traits, it is often masked by youth or overlooked because of youth. When you get older, people start to look for and even expect them, and that's the problem. To some degree and in the "right" circumstances, everyone is insecure, indecisive, inflexible, and obtuse. Interviewing is very stressful, and when under stress one is often not one's best self. If you are young, that is taken into consideration. If you are older, it's sometimes held against you.