Subject: Techwhirl Technical Communication Recap for July 20, 2012
From: TechWhirl Admin <admin -at- techwhirl -dot- com>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 11:09:42 -0400

*This week’s update on technical communication and the TechWhirl community
is supported by Platinum sponsor ComponentOne & their Doc-To-Help Help
Authoring Tool <http://goo.gl/QcMWA> | http://bit.ly/doc-to-help*

This was a week of varied, but relevant and lively discussions on the
list<http://www.techwr-l.com/about-technical-writing-discussion-groups.html>,
the kind of week that shows the broad range of the technical communication
field. Section 508 compliance, strategies for organizing help systems,
handling production of multi-language documents, tool questions and
answers, trends and careers…all of which meant we had conversations with
newbies and veterans, in all sorts of industries.

email list is just one way that we stay in touch with our customers. We
also send and receive emails, exchange tweets, post to FaceBook, LinkedIn
and Google+ <https://plus.google.com/b/103754021966257477744/>, announce
jobs <http://jobs.techwhirl.com/>, release news <http://news.techwhirl.com/>,
and deliver topical content that—happily—our customers are more than
willing to respond to. As technical communicators roles in our
organizations’ customer service or customer experience strategies should
take into account all the various ways those customers want and do interact
with us. Technical communication isn’t just about creating good technical
content (after all, we could come up with thousands of interpretations as
to what constitutes “good.”). It’s about understanding the customer, what
they want, how our companies are delivering it, and aligning the content
with those expectations and needs.

This week, Jacquie Samuels provided a thoughtful and topical piece on Unified
Content That Serves the
Customer<http://techwhirl.com/skills/structure/unified-content-that-serves-the-customer-lets-come-out-of-the-dark-ages/>;
we dusted off a funny, but painfully true column from our classic archives
on how software really gets
delivered<http://techwhirl.com/technical-writing-humor/classic-technical-communication-humor-software-supreme/>,
recapped what’s
happening<http://techwhirl.com/technical-communications-news/this-week-in-tech-comm/tech-writer-this-week-for-july-19-2012/>in
the technical communications blogosphere and twitterverse, and offered
a weekly
poll on people skills<http://techwhirl.com/business/polls/technical-communication-poll-those-pesky-people-skills/>that
we may (or may not) need to succeed. Take some time to peruse the
articles, vote, comment and post to the great threads on the discussion
list. And don’t hesitate to email us directly if you have a complaint or a
compliment or a suggestion on how we can better serve you our TechWhirl
customers.

Have a great weekend

-The gang at TechWhirl
In Case You Missed it: This Week @ TechWhirl

*New features and articles on http://TechWhirl.com <http://techwhirl.com/>**
:*

- Tech Writer This Week for July 19, by Craig Cardimon |
http://bit.ly/LYRBtc
- Classic Technical Communication Humor: Software Supreme, by K. John
Russell | http://bit.ly/LXn9Q8
- Technical Communication Poll: Those Pesky People Skills |
http://bit.ly/LWgC85
- Unified Content That Serves the Customer: Let’s Come Out of the Dark
Ages, by Jacquie Samuels| http://bit.ly/NcCmwn

*Tech Comm News on http://News.TechWhirl.com <http://news.techwhirl.com/>:*

- Call for Proposals: Practical Conference on Communication 2012 |
http://bit.ly/OlPj4Z
- MadWorld 2013 Early Registration Now Open| http://bit.ly/NSx7Qu

Social Media and the Chance to Follow TechWhirl:

- Our Google Plus Page – what’s happening behind the scenes |
http://goo.gl/SO0R4
- Will you be our Friend? Please, you know you want to click |
http://goo.gl/tDrW7
- Want all this TechWhirl goodness a few characters @ a time |
http://goo.gl/itjDg
- Updates from TechWhirl delivered to your email in box |
http://bit.ly/tjshxU
- Or, try our RSS feed (great on Flipboard) | http://goo.gl/msLzu

SPONSOR-Luv

We want to send a very special “thank you” to our sponsors for their
support.

*Platinum*: Adobe Systems
Incorporated<http://www.runaware.com/clients/adobe/techsuite/>

*Gold: *ComponentOne Software <http://bit.ly/doc-to-help>,* *Madcap
Software<http://www.madcapsoftware.com/products/flare/overview.aspx#whatsnew>
**

*Silver*: Society for Technical Communication (STC)
<http://www.stc.org/>, Vancouver
Island University <http://pr.viu.ca/techcomm/>

Online Magazine and Discussions for Today's Tech Writer

Follow TechWhirl on
Twitter: @TechWriterToday
Facebook: facebook.com/techwriterlist
Google+: plus.ly/TechWhirl