RE: Content management

Subject: RE: Content management
From: "Don White" <writer -at- jrtcllc -dot- com>
To: "'Lauren'" <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 18:12:26 -0400

Drupal is good, WordPress is good. I primarily use Joomla on sites I build
for cash and pro-bono clients as well as for my own purposes. Perhaps its
like the debates (never-ending debates) between Mac and Microsoft users.

The fact is, though, that the concept of "easy-to-use" has changed along
with the increased capabilities and complexities of current Web site
development.

People are not exempt from learning something HTML/XHTML because they chose
a CMS. Not every peg fits into a square receptacle.

There really are no separate Web pages on a CMS site; everything is driven
by the design and implementation of menus since all content is stored and
called from a database. You can create separate modules to present teasers
or bits of content that incite interest to click the "Read More" (or
something) link that brings up a complete article. Or you can setup menus to
display full or partial articles where you've set the Read More link deeper
in the content than the opening paragraph.

The editor interfaces used by the various CMSs automatically assign
HTML/XHTML tags to the more obvious content types (paragraph=p, bullet list
item=li, etc.). However, if you make more complete use of the CSS
possibilities built into a given template, you almost have to delve into the
source code to assign the correct span tags (<p class="...;">).

The promise of open-source content management systems was that a developer
could deliver a site that a client can use to add, modify, or remove content
without knowing XHTML/HTML or CSS. The reality is that, as design standards
and expectations have matured, so has the complexity. I take the more
flexible and popular of the CSS styles created by a template vendor and
rewrite them in the template CSS file (there may be dozens of separate CSS
files for any given template). Then, the client can select the desired
styling from a drop-down menu in the editor.

My own site is www.jrtcllc.com; a site I built for a commercial client is
http://flsamerica.com and a site I built and maintain for a volunteer trail
club is at http://www.southshenandoah.net. (I only wish that Internet
Explorer was more compatible with current W3C standards.)

Cheers,

Don White
James River Technical Communications
mailto:writer -at- jrtcllc -dot- com