Re: Construction terminology question

Subject: Re: Construction terminology question
From: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 13:53:25 -0700

On 8/6/2012 1:17 PM, Ken Stitzel wrote:

If I had a choice, I would say something like, "Workers constructed 1,800
piles to support the structure." The word "set" is a good suggestion, too.

It depends on how the pile is placed into the ground. If the pile is set in the foundation, then it is "set." If the pile is driven in the ground, then the pile is "driven."

This approach means you don't have to risk being wrong if you don't know
exactly how they did it. Leaves some "weasel" room.

I do not think that leaves "weasel" room. "Set" refers to setting with concrete, while "drive" refers to using driven piles.

More methods, Deborah did mention "driven," though.

It's really fun to watch, too! I have seen dozens of highly paid software
engineers waste hours of time watching the piles going in for a big company
construction project next door.

I've done that.

Create and publish documentation through multiple channels with Doc-To-Help. Choose your authoring formats and get any output you may need.

Try Doc-To-Help, now with MS SharePoint integration, free for 30-days.


You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- web -dot- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-
To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit for more resources and info.

Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our online magazine at

Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public email archives @

Construction terminology question: From: Debbie Hemstreet
RE: Construction terminology question: From: Debbie Hemstreet
Re: Construction terminology question: From: Lauren
Re: Construction terminology question: From: Ken Stitzel

Previous by Author: Re: Construction terminology question
Next by Author: Re: is there a word - for typing the wrong homophone ?
Previous by Thread: Re: Construction terminology question
Next by Thread: RE: Construction terminology question

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads