Re: Construction terminology question

Subject: Re: Construction terminology question
From: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 12:56:45 -0700

On 8/6/2012 5:56 AM, Debbie Hemstreet wrote:

I've seen a picture of these, and they look like very long thin bars standing upright, driven into the ground and completely surround the outer wall of the building, they make up the support structure for an underground construction

You did describe piles. "A driven pile is a relatively long, slender column, provided to offer support or to resist forces, made of preformed material having a predetermined shape and size that can be physically inspected prior to and during installation, which is installed by impact hammering, vibrating or pushing into the earth."

Pile-driving is a very loud process with a pile driver grabbing the pile and driving it into the ground, similar to post-driving that is handled with hand tools ( "Driving" refers to the hammering motion of driving the pile or post into the ground, like driving a nail into wood when hammering it.

Create and publish documentation through multiple channels with Doc-To-Help. Choose your authoring formats and get any output you may need.

Try Doc-To-Help, now with MS SharePoint integration, free for 30-days.


You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- web -dot- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-
To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit for more resources and info.

Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our online magazine at

Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public email archives @


Construction terminology question: From: Debbie Hemstreet
RE: Construction terminology question: From: Debbie Hemstreet

Previous by Author: Re: How to build a Corporate Dictionary for using with Simplified English
Next by Author: Re: Construction terminology question
Previous by Thread: RE: Construction terminology question
Next by Thread: Re: Construction terminology question

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads