How to archive an Exchange/Outlook e-mail list that you don't own?

Subject: How to archive an Exchange/Outlook e-mail list that you don't own?
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 10:37:14 -0400

All,

Given that a person has subscribed once, the mailing list format used by
model), in that the list traffic comes to the members, and they don't
have to actively go somewhere and log on in order to participate.

Because the owners own the list, they control how and where it is archived.

Now, a colleague (a director of Sales Engineering) has recently created
an amazingly useful discussion list inside our company. The problem is
that it is not archived. So only current members get to see and save the
content.

For various reasons, we do not want to invoke IS/IT department.

Is there a way for a mere user (a list member) of a corporate
Exchange/Outlook system to automatically save list mail to a
location where (say) a small web server could make
that mail available as a searchable/browsable archive for
intranet users?

Ideally, the mail would be saved as text files with the unnecessary
bulk of the headers stripped off. I'm not sure what we'd do with
the odd file attached to a message.

Does anybody else do this?

Or am I (without my first coffee of the day) just not thinking of
the obvious?

We cannot and may not create, or have-created-for-us, any list
members that are not actual humans. That is, we can't set up a
nice little web server, and give it a corporate Outlook/Exchange
account so it could be a receiving member of the mailing list.
And corporate IT policy forbids IS/IT dept. from doing it for us.

-kevin

or disclosing it.

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help