Re: Are the any style mapping utilities for recent Word versions?

Subject: Re: Are the any style mapping utilities for recent Word versions?
From: Julie Stickler <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 16:51:23 -0500

You can also use the Styles menu, which I find useful for cleaning up
all the darned inline formatting that I find in documents that I
inherit from people. I'm always a little wary about using scripts to
reformat things, unless I'm sure the person who wrote it knew how to
use styles in the first place. Universal search and replace has
failed me before...

You may already know this, but I'll write it out for newbies on the list.

(This is for Word 2010)
1 - On the Home tab, click the little arrow at the lower right hand
corner of the Styles section. The Styles catalog opens.

2 - At the bottom of the Styles catalog, click the Options link.

a - Select styles to show = In current document.

b - Select formatting to show as styles - When I'm cleaning up a
messy doc, I select all three check boxes:
- Paragraph level formatting
- Font formatting
- Bullet and numbering formatting

c - Take your pick on the bottom radio buttons, do you want to
save these styles to your template, or just clean up the document?

d - Click OK to close the dialog box.

3 - Then right-click a style in the catalog and select Select All
Instances. This highlights all the text formatted with that style.
If I'm SURE I want to reformat everything (like headings where someone
has changed the font size or space above or below) all you have to do
is click the style you want to apply.

If I'm not sure I want to reformat all 259 instances of a style, I
might work through chunks of it. Like if all the paragraphs in one
topic use the same numbering style, I'll reformat all those, then
right-click and select the next chunk of weird numbers that I want to
fix.

I tend to start with the headings, then tackle whatever seems easiest.
Sometimes I have to jump around a bit because cleaning up the bullets
and numbers also helps clean up the paragraph styles.

I also tend to delete styles that I know I'm not going to use. For
example, if people have been copy/pasting from e-mail there might be
Web styles and Apple styles that I know I'll never use in my document.
(We're a mixed office, Mac and Windows working together!)

--
Julie Stickler
http://heratech.wordpress.com/

Read all about them: http://bit.ly/doc-to-help-10-outputs