Re: Win 7 WORD crashes... Going to wrong Library?

Subject: Re: Win 7 WORD crashes... Going to wrong Library?
From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, <mihailokostich -at- aim -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 13:07:15 -0800

Not positive that this would mitigate (not solve, which it won't) the problem, but I've had a similar issue ever since I got my Win 7 machine with Word 2007 on it. And the work-around I ended up with -- don't ask how, I'm really not sure any more since this was a couple of years ago and it's just now part of my work habit -- is to make sure that my open Windows Explorer (aka "File Manager") active folder is at least one folder/subdirectory lower than where the image to be inserted is.

Sounds bizarre, I know. But it's a repeatable thing. If my Windows Explorer is showing the files in "...\Pictures" and I want to insert one of those files, I change to the Explorer window, create a subfolder, "...\Pictures\temp", and make sure that I click that "temp" folder (so that the Explorer window changes its contents and I hear the little sound denoting that I've successfully clicked it). Then I can return to the Word window and happily insert the image file.

This is repeatable whether Iâm inserting the image into Word or *any other program's open file* -- so it's clearly not a Word-specific thing. It seems as if Explorer itself is sort of locking the folder/directory that is the "open" folder/directory, which results in a crash of any program that tries to insert an image from that "open" folder/directory.

I've asked several knowledgeable IT people about it and over the past couple of years exhaustively googled all sorts of keywords and phrases that seem likely, and have come up with nothing. But my work-around is easy and dependable, so I've just come to terms with the world as it is.

I'd dearly love to really solve this, and also to understand why this clearly doesn't happen to most people. This is the first time I've ever heard of anyone else having the same problem!

Oh, and none of my folders/directories are network or mapped -- they're all local on my PC's hard drive. So it's something much more fundamental in how Explorer manages things.

HTH, and if anyone can shed light on it, I'd love to be enlightened!
-Monique

Writer Tip: Create 10 different outputs with Doc-To-Help -- including Mobile and EPUB.

Read all about them: http://bit.ly/doc-to-help-10-outputs