RE: Which style of giving instructions is more effective?

Subject: RE: Which style of giving instructions is more effective?
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Kat Kuvinka <katkuvinka -at- hotmail -dot- com>, Roberta Hennessey <rahennessey -at- gmail -dot- com>, Ryan Pollack <ryan -at- clicksecurity -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 15:18:38 -0500

Ah. I swing both ways on this one.

I see the argument for trimming words.

I also see the problem when ending a sentence with a command.

What if the command MUST not have a terminating period - which is often the case for command-line stuff?

Now you'll get complaints that you left a sentence un-terminated. Tsk!

As well, I generally prefer to word my lead-in such that the command
can be shown alone on the next line:

or disclosing it.

Writer Tip: Create 10 different outputs with Doc-To-Help -- including Mobile and EPUB.

Read all about them: http://bit.ly/doc-to-help-10-outputs