RE: ftp glitching -- help?

Subject: RE: ftp glitching -- help?
From: "Margaret Cekis" <Margaret -dot- Cekis -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "'Ken Poshedly'" <poshedly -at- bellsouth -dot- net>, "'Techwr-l'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 20:49:44 -0500

Ken Poshedly reported ftp glitching in IE, Windows XP Home Edition"
"Details: I'll navigate to the destination (for example, a fictitious
"ftp://12.34.396.387";), choose the "Open page in Windows Explorer" option,
then key in my username and password to get to the destination page.
I'll drag and drop the chosen file (usually a file folder with lots of
FrameMaker stuff) onto the destination page and get the small pop-up window
with the progress bar and estimated transfer time. Invariably, when I'm down
to the last 5 seconds, the process just continues on and on and on . . .
(the little icon folder keeps flowing from source computer to destination
computer in the little pop-up window). I'll do a refresh of the destination
page and sure enough, all target files are all in place and compare nicely
with the source files on my own terminal (in other words, File A = 10K or so
on both the source and destination pages)..... I have gotten no complaints
from the receiver of my files, so I know the transferred files are intact.
This doesn't seem to happen on my office terminal using Windows XP
Professional.
___________________________
Ken,
As long as the files are being transferred intact, I wouldn't obsess about
it. Just minimize the status doohickey and let Windows shut it down when you
turn off the PC. All I can suggest is that you check to make sure that your
copy of IE has got all the Microsoft updates and patches that have been
issued. (or there could have been a patch to XP Pro that didn't get to the
Home Edition). I'd check Help about in IE to see what version and updates
you have, then check the MS support site to see if there have been any
patches related to the FTP facility that you could download to fix it.
Margaret Cekis, Johns Creek GA

See what's new in Doc-To-Help 2012 in a free webcast:

Read all about them: http://bit.ly/C1-webcast