Subject: TechWhirl: Technical Communication Recap for January 25, 2013
From: INKtopia Admin <admin -at- inktopia -dot- net>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 10:35:25 -0500

*This week’s update on technical communication and the TechWhirl community
is supported by Platinum sponsor ComponentOne & their Doc-To-Help Help
Authoring Tool <http://goo.gl/QcMWA> | http://bit.ly/doc-to-help*

It’s been a very busy week on the email discussion
list<http://www.techwr-l.com/>,
with threads ranging from dealing with sudden unemployment, tracking
documentation requests, and assorted usage questions. The one that caught
my attention though, came from Victoria Wroblewski, and offers a quick
glimpse into the real-life challenges those of us in technical
communication face when a new technology makes its debut. What to do when
you’re a software technical writer, and one of the big guys launches a new
version of a ubiquitous operating system?

We like to cover a whole range of trends, Big Ideas, and other
paradigm-shifting topics about the world of technical communication. This
thread, and some of the other great discussions this week serve as a good
reminder that our world also involves daily work that might appear
pedestrian and boring to the average consumer, but in the end can make a
difference in how they interact with products of all sorts.

Take a look at the *Documenting in Windows 8 - Click? Press?
Select?<http://www.techwr-l.com/archives/1301/techwhirl-1301-00269.html#.UQKhc7836So>
* thread, and add your thoughts and experiences to the discussion. Then
spend a little time catching up on Craig Cardimon’s Tech Writer This
Week<http://techwhirl.com/tech-writer-this-week-for-january-24-2013/>,
giggling over our classic humor piece from Lisa
Higgins<http://techwhirl.com/technical-writing-humor-sidelines-job-interviews/>,
voting in the weekly
poll<http://techwhirl.com/technical-communication-poll-technology-advances-we-like/>,
and learning the differences between content management
systems<http://techwhirl.com/types-of-content-management-systems/>,
courtesy of Jacquie Samuels. In short, be an active part of our technical
communication community.

Have a great weekend!

-Connie and the gang at TechWhirl
In Case You Missed it: This Week @ TechWhirl

*New features and articles on http://TechWhirl.com <http://techwhirl.com/>**
:*

- Tech Writer This Week January 24, 2013, by Craig Cardimon |
http://bit.ly/WuNpRZ
- Technical Writing Humor: The Sidelines on Job Interviews, by Lisa
Higgins | http://bit.ly/ViUg5d
- Technical Communication Poll: Technology Advances We’d Like to See|
http://bit.ly/StFrKR
- Managing Information: Types of Content Management Systems Explained,
by Jacquie Samuels | http://bit.ly/WR4dkF

*Technical Communication news on
http://TechWhirl.com/news<http://techwhirl.com/news>
:*

- MadCap Mimic 7.0 Released with Support for HTML5 |
http://bit.ly/10K5Zfz

Social Media and the Chance to Follow TechWhirl:

- Our Google Plus Page – what’s happening behind the scenes |
http://goo.gl/SO0R4
- Will you be our Friend? Please, you know you want to click |
http://goo.gl/tDrW7
- Want all this TechWhirl goodness a few characters @ a time |
http://goo.gl/itjDg
- Updates from TechWhirl delivered to your email in box |
http://bit.ly/tjshxU
- Or, try our RSS feed (great on Flipboard) | http://goo.gl/msLzu

SPONSOR-Luv

We want to send a very special “thank you” to our sponsors for their
support.

*Platinum*: Adobe Systems
Incorporated<http://www.runaware.com/clients/adobe/techsuite/>

*Gold: *ComponentOne Software <http://bit.ly/doc-to-help>,* *Madcap
Software<http://www.madcapsoftware.com/products/flare/overview.aspx#whatsnew>
**

*Silver*: Vancouver Island University <http://pr.viu.ca/techcomm/>

Online Magazine and Discussions for Today's Tech Writer

Follow TechWhirl on
Twitter: @TechWriterToday
Facebook: facebook.com/techwriterlist
Google+: plus.ly/TechWhirl
See what's new in Doc-To-Help 2012 in a free webcast:

Read all about them: http://bit.ly/C1-webcast