Re: WebHelp: Visited Links Are Multi-Colored

Subject: Re: WebHelp: Visited Links Are Multi-Colored
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: Keith Hansen <Keith -dot- Hansen -at- opensolutions -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 18:41:13 -0800

Hey Keith,

CSS rules are applied based on both placement, and the specificity of the
declaration. Later declarations take precedence, unless another block
declares specific instances. Also, link pseudo classes have a "LoVe/HAte"
relationship (apologies to Jeffrey Zeldman). Links need to be declared in a
specific order: a:link, a:visited, a:hover, a:active. As your css block is
declared in the right order, perhaps there may be a different CSS rule that
sets a declaration for Visited.

You should open the htm output in Firefox and check Inspect element to see
what CSS rules are being applied. It's weird that the underline would
change and not the text colour. Maybe there is a wrapper element around the
text or link.

-Tony

On Friday, January 25, 2013, Keith Hansen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm using FrameMaker 11 and RoboHelp 10 in Technical Communication Suite
> 4. My RoboHelp project is linked to my FrameMaker book.
>
> I'm using a CSS with my RoboHelp project. When users click on hyperlinks
> in WebHelp, I want unvisited (unclicked) links to be one color (green) and
> visited (clicked) links to be another color (purple). I have the following
> in my CSS:
>
> a:link {color:#006600;} /* unvisited link */
> a:visited {color:#4C00BC;} /* visited link */
>
> Most of the visited links in RoboHelp do turn to purple, but not all. Some
> visited links are partially purple (the underline for the link turns to
> purple), but the text stays green.
>
> Any ideas why this happens? Or how to fix it? Thanks in advance for any
> ideas.
>
> Yours,
>
> Keith

See what's new in Doc-To-Help 2012 in a free webcast:

Read all about them: http://bit.ly/C1-webcast