RE: What's the state of the Adobe Suite when it comes to Word Output

Subject: RE: What's the state of the Adobe Suite when it comes to Word Output
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "john -dot- x -dot- posada -at- us -dot- hsbc -dot- com" <john -dot- x -dot- posada -at- us -dot- hsbc -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 07:52:49 -0800

john.x.posada wrote:

> Hi, guys...I've gotten into a project that I see getting even more complex
> as it goes forward. I'm now working on a Word document that is in the 440
> page range and I'm not even half way through.
>
> I would love to switch to FM, but EVERYONE else in my corporate world here
> is on Word.
>
> I know of and have used Jeremy's program in the past for Frame>:Word
> conversion, but to be honest, I need native Word input and output....please
> don't throw this into a tangent explaining why...I just know I do, you're
> gonna have to trust me.
>
> Before I propose this product to my management, what is the current state
> of Frame's conversion to/from Word? I'm hoping that FM has gotten better in
> the Word world at it since I used it about 3 versions ago.

You want to author in FM and round-trip to and from Word? Forget it. That way lies madness. You add scores of little cleanup tasks to each round trip.

(Mind you, if you just need to deliver drafts to reviewers and get back edits from them, that's another story, and one that Mif2Go is suited for -- as long as you're OK with manually migrating the edits back to the FM source docs. The better solution, IMHO, would be to deliver PDFs to the reviewers and use FM's PDF round-tripping to update the source files from the marked-up PDFs. The reviewers only need Adobe Reader, not Acrobat.)

But if you absolutely _must_ round-trip Word files (even though they're not intended to be an output format), then -- much as I love FM -- I'd say you ought to be authoring in Word.

I understand Word's master document feature is pretty stable in recent versions (Word 2007 and 2010, IIRC). (Actually, it worked reasonably well many years ago as long as you religiously adhered to one simple rule: never edit a subdocument from the master document. Always open and edit the subdocuments individually; use the master document only to perform book-wide operations like updating the TOC and creating the final deliverable.)

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom
303-223-5111
------
rgcombs AT gmailDOTcom
303-903-6372
------

See what's new in Doc-To-Help 2012 in a free webcast:

Read all about them: http://bit.ly/C1-webcast