RE: Do as I say, not as I do

Subject: RE: Do as I say, not as I do
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: John Allred <john2 -at- allrednet -dot- com>, "Porrello, Leonard" <lporrello -at- illumina -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 00:04:34 -0500

For another perspective:

Our company has a cycle for employee computers. Every X-many years, each employee`s computer should be replaced by something modern, though in some cases it made more sense to upgrade memory or add another hard disk, etc. But generally, that was the plan and generally (plus or minus a year or two), that`s what was happening.

A couple or three years ago, the replacements started being laptops.

I started experimenting with working via VPN the odd time or two.
It grew some...
Over the last few months, it was often four and five days a week, working from home.

Finally, the day came. Somebody (local HR manager) noticed, and I was called upon the carpet.

Our lease ended last fall, and we took a one-year extension, but with hiring, we`re pretty cramped.
HR manager asked how I would feel about losing my office cubicle and having just a shared landing spot on the days when I needed to drop in for whatever reason, and otherwise I`d generally work from home most of the time?

I said that I had some equipment in my cube that I connected to constantly, and needed to have hands-on access on a frequent basis.
Not to worry, she said, we can find some place where it can be safe, yet accessible.

OK, sez I. When you need to start bunking us, feel free to use my cube. I'll need somebody to water my plants...

At our new building - yet to be designated, but inevitable - that will be the general plan except for those few people who need to be in the office fairly constantly. A minority.

This will save the company serious bucks and give us a much smaller footprint while still allowing us to have more bodies.

Win-win.

And as observed, it'll save a helluva lot of commuting and pollution and petroleum consumption.

Win-win-win.