Re: What graphics tasks do you perform?

Subject: Re: What graphics tasks do you perform?
From: sphilip <philstokes03 -at- googlemail -dot- com>
To: Kevin McLauchlan <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com (techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 19:02:17 +0700

I was only teasing Kevin :) Hope you know that.

I think your experience is quite common (at least it sits well with my own and I've heard others say it before). It's not a problem with the medium. It's a problem with the fact that anyone with a mike and a webcam can make a screencast and even companies that should be knocking out professional level stuff are often delegating that task to…someone with a mike and a webcam…or more seriously people who are not professional screencasters and have no idea how unusable their efforts are. Like all areas of documentation, producers need to know their audience and think like a user. Too frequently that doesn't happen, but there are some great examples of screencasting as documentation (see anything by Tech Smith for how to use Camtasia).

It's parallel to other areas of documentation (the "get the secretary to do it, anyone can write" attitude), but screencasting hasn't been around long enough to have established its worth to companies in terms of budget spend. I hope that changes (especially as I consider myself a "screencaster"), but I'm not sure it will anytime soon.

Best

Phil
http://applehelpwriter.wordpress.com

On 20 Feb 2013, at 22:29, "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com> wrote:

> I read. I just don't like a lot of the interactive tutorials I've encountered over the years. ("For the love of ! -at- #$%*&, get ON with it!!")

EPUB Webinar: Join STC Vice President Nicky Bleiel as she discusses tips for creating EPUB, the file format used for e-readers, tablets, smartphones, and more.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/12LyN2z