RE: Hiring TW without a test

Subject: RE: Hiring TW without a test
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Jen <jennee -at- gmail -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 11:29:42 -0400

I'm late to this party, but....

Hire a local teacher (perhaps a substitute teacher looking for a little extra money) for a day or an afternoon.
The teacher will be your arms-length front-person to lead the following scenario.

Have all five techwriting applicants in a room together. Instigate a group discussion (participation mandatory) to create a list of criteria on which a techwriter's writing and editing ability should be judged, with you guiding the discussion to ensure that it mostly reflects your criteria. Suggest that hiring can't proceed unless everybody present submits a writing sample, created on-the-spot, TO THE GROUP, for critique. Not to you. Not to the company. You need never actually see it. You could suggest a sample task (like the peanut-butter sandwich) as an example, but tell them that the group can choose to substitute any other simple task that would reveal as much, in as short a time.

(Set a time limit on the sample-task selection step, or they'll argue all day. Tell them to also agree on a time limit for the writing of the sample.)

Tell them to grade submitted samples according to your/their agreed itemized criteria. Preferably, they'd do their writing on computer (so no identifiable handwriting), and identify their sample with only a number or code-name that the teacher conveyed privately to each participant. Each person grades and ranks all the others on each of the criteria, but at the end, the grade for her/his own paper is dropped (possibly retained for evaluation of integrity, but not included in the group tabulation).

Each writer/evaluator has printouts of all five samples, and must shuffle the scoring for each of the criteria until all papers are ranked by each evaluator/writer - no ties by any one evaluator ("I think both paper 2 and paper 5 are equally strong on 'clarity'")... tests applicant's ability and willingness to make a decision.
You and the company did not choose among them by a writing test. You evaluated them on their ability to evaluate written material. And they agreed to the eventual choice by collectively assigning the highest score to it.

The teacher is asked to evaluate the participants on the non-writing aspects of the task - who was best at evaluating material they did not write themselves, and who was most honest, for example.
At the end, the teacher reveals whose name corresponded with the identifying number on the winning sample.

If there's a clear winner, that's who is hired. If there's a tie, then the teacher's evaluation of the non-writing aspects is used to break the tie.
If there's STILL a tie, hire them both!
Or ask the teacher if she/he wants a full-time job.

Hah!

Diabolical, I know. :-)