RE: Who is an ESL writer?

Subject: RE: Who is an ESL writer?
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Julie Stickler <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 18:00:04 -0400

So, if I was writing with homegrown spelling (favour, colour, metre, theatre, and many more), rather than following my employer's style for USA spelling (and a really indefensible positioning of terminal punctuation with respect to closing quotation marks, but don't get me started) would you label me as ESL?

I think, perhaps, what you admitted below is that you are really using "ESL" as your short-hand for AESL.

I inserted the "A" to stand for "USian". Anyone who lives in North AMERICA, but isn't a native of the USofA will know what I mean. :-)

If Reshma's same-age neighbor happened to have (say) one English-speaking parent, and one who spoke mostly a local dialect, and that neighbor-kid learned a smattering of English a couple of years before Reshma started learning (alongside that other kid) in school, but both of them learned English as it is spoken-and-written by local, educated English speakers in a certain region of (say) India... would Reshma be ESL and the other kid... not? Twenty years of schooling and several years of English-language working-life later, how would you tell?

Or would they both be AESL? ...... 'Murican English as a Second Language ?

Yes, I know the list is US-centric. I daresay all of us who don't live there are constantly reminded. I'd also bet that the vast majority of US list members are much more aware, than their non-TW compatriots, that there's life outside the borders.

-kevin (AESL, here in Ottawa, Canada, eh?)