Re: another question about designing an instructor-led course

Subject: Re: another question about designing an instructor-led course
From: Keith Hood <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: tech2wr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Becca <becca -at- di -dot- org>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 19:42:13 -0700 (PDT)

I used to do materials for courses in teaching UNIX. Most of them were funded by the Air Force, and the books were supposed to be done to Air Force standards.Â

Consider the instructor guide to be a kind of script. And a script has to supply both the dialogue, and the stage directions - both what you do and what you say at the right points. On left-side pages in the instructor guide, put a copy of the page from the student guide, so the instructor knows what the student is seeing in his book. On the facing page of the instructor guide, put two things: directions to the instructor what to do, and the words the instructor should say at specific places. Like this:

pg 4 in instructor guideÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ pg 5 in instructor guide

STUDENT MATERIALXÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Show slide 1 on screen.
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Explain diagram on slide.
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ "Now compare this with figure 3 in your book."
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ
STUDENT MATERIALYÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ "You can see figure 3 lacks the renoberator."
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Show slide 4 on screen.

STUDENT MATERIALZXÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ "Slide 4, here, shows the alternative path."
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Turn off projector.
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ "Now turn to page 5 in your book.

STUDENT MATERIALAAÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ And so on and so forth.

In this kind of book structure here will be times when, in order for the instructor to say everything that is relevant to page X in the student guide, the instructor guide must have a set of multiple pairs of facing pages, with the same student guide content on each even-numbered page in that set but different instructor directions and dialogue on the odd pages. This is especially true if the student guide page shows a graphic that needs a lot of description.

If you can, I also advise following the Air Force ISD concepts on how to design course guide. Our student guides were actually pretty sparse. The deliberately included LOTS of white space where the students could take notes. They were designed on the idea that a student should get 15% of the information needed to pass the test from the guide. 35% should come from the notes he takes during the lecture, and 50% should come from hands-on experiments. If your course is in something to do with software, you can set up lots of exercises.