Re: Protecting styles in Word documents; was, "RE: Justifying FM (was About The Cloud: Quick-Read Suggestions)"

Subject: Re: Protecting styles in Word documents; was, "RE: Justifying FM (was About The Cloud: Quick-Read Suggestions)"
From: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 13:21:45 -0400

Am I missing something? Why not simply keep you own "original" file, and by using your innate expertise in editing insert the corrections that others make on their copies? Surely it's simpler than letting a flock of reviewers all stomp on the original. The only downside I can see is the SME who says, "I thought I changed all those code examples to be in boldface. Where did my boldface go?"

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 11:14:45 -0400, Porrello, Leonard <lporrello -at- illumina -dot- com> wrote:

Sorry if I missed something. I am coming into this thread late. William said, "I cannot count the number of times that I have had to repair manuals that were final release ready because someone reviewing them decided to make a change using their normal template and mess up the styles."

A few weeks ago, someone pointed out that Word 2010 and later enable you to lock and password protect the template and styles so that there ain't be no messin' wit dem by nobody.

To test this functionality, do the following:
1. Open the Styles pane (Ctrl+Shift+Alt+S or click the "open" arrow in the ribbon).
2. Select the Manage Styles icon.
3. Select the Restrict tab. By default, styles are set to "Hide Until Used".
4. Select each style that you want to restrict (or multi-select with the shift key).
5. Restrict the styles.
6. Select Limit formatting to permitted styles.
7. Select OK. The Start Enforcing Protection dialog box will appear.
8. Enter a password, and then select OK.

From our sponsor Doc-to-Help: Want to see a Doc-To-Help web-based Help sample with DISQUS for user commenting?

Learn more: http://bit.ly/13xpg5n