Re: bouncing back from interview disappointment (WAS: Advice needed for an upcoming interview)

Subject: Re: bouncing back from interview disappointment (WAS: Advice needed for an upcoming interview)
From: David Crosswell <davidcrosswell -at- internode -dot- on -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 13:56:20 +1000

On Wed, 29 May 2013 11:33:49 AM Ken Poshedly wrote:
> Way back a loooong time ago (30 years or so), I recall missing out on a job
> because at the end of the interview, the hiring manager told me that "my
> wife's sister's brother's uncle's friend's friend does their church
> newsletter and we're going to hire him."
>
> Pissed off? You bet I was, but "blood" (who you know) is thicker than water
> your skill set). I was also pissed to be brought in for an interview when
> the conclusion was already made before I got there.


This happens often.
The promotion has already been determined from within the organisation, or by
way of some other known value, but the job must be advertised because, in many
national contexts, it's a legal requirement.

They'll take a look at the market while they are there.
This is business.
You are a product.
Cheers!

David


>
> -- Ken in Atlanta
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
> To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> Sent: Tue, May 28, 2013 7:05:42 PM
> Subject: Re: bouncing back from interview disappointment (WAS: Advice
> needed for an upcoming interview)
>
> On Tue, 28 May 2013 11:26:53 -0400, Anne Robotti <arobotti -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:
> > There are three possible reasons why you didn't get the job:
> >
> > 1. You sucked on the interview and they hated you.
> > 2. You were awesome on the interview but someone else with more
> > experience and
> >
> >better skills was also awesome, and they got it.
> >
> > 3. You were awesome on the interview but for one reason or another
> > weren't
> >
> >right for the job.
>
> Here's another, again outside one's control:
> 4. The hiring req was switched to bring on someone in sales instead of a
> TW. You don't get the job because (suddenly) there is no job. I've seen
> this happen. The folks who want to hire the TW get overruled from above.
> Why? Sales is REVENUE, but TW is an expense.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> From our sponsor Doc-to-Help: Want to see a Doc-To-Help web-based Help
> sample with DISQUS for user commenting?
>
> Learn more: http://bit.ly/13xpg5n
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as poshedly -at- bellsouth -dot- net -dot-
>
> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>
>
> Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
> http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources and
> info.
>
> Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our online
> magazine at http://techwhirl.com
>
> Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public
> email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> From our sponsor Doc-to-Help: Want to see a Doc-To-Help web-based Help
> sample with DISQUS for user commenting?
>
> Learn more: http://bit.ly/13xpg5n
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as
> davidcrosswell -at- internode -dot- on -dot- net -dot-
>
> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>
>
> Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
> http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources and
> info.
>
> Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our online
> magazine at http://techwhirl.com
>
> Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public
> email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives

--
"Res publica non dominetur."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>From our sponsor Doc-to-Help: Want to see a Doc-To-Help web-based Help sample with DISQUS for user commenting?

Learn more: http://bit.ly/13xpg5n

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- web -dot- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com


Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources and info.

Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our online magazine at http://techwhirl.com

Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives


Follow-Ups:

References:
bouncing back from interview disappointment (WAS: Advice needed for an upcoming interview): From: Anonymous
Re: bouncing back from interview disappointment (WAS: Advice needed for an upcoming interview): From: Peter Neilson
Re: bouncing back from interview disappointment (WAS: Advice needed for an upcoming interview): From: Ken Poshedly

Previous by Author: Re: Make Your Voice Heard: Take the Adobe Tech Comm Survey: What You SAY is What You Get
Next by Author: Re: CMS solution needed - Feedback wanted
Previous by Thread: Re: bouncing back from interview disappointment (WAS: Advice needed for an upcoming interview)
Next by Thread: Re: bouncing back from interview disappointment (WAS: Advice needed for an upcoming interview)


What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads


Sponsored Ads