Back to SGML (ugh) after yrs of XML - AF TOs - State of the Zoo Qs

Subject: Back to SGML (ugh) after yrs of XML - AF TOs - State of the Zoo Qs
From: "Robert Williams" <robert -dot- williams -at- techresearchgroup -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 13:16:32 -0400

Hi all, long time lurker, long time tech writer. mostly military TMs (SGML &
XML - Arbortext and some structured Frame).

I know that there are some real experts out there that read this list that
are SGML & XML and Arbortext gurus. with this I beseech you. (burning
chicken bones over a bat wing fire here)

After several yrs of 40051 Army XML TMs (LOGSA - Arbortext - PrintComposer -
PDF Output). I'm being dragged back into SGML, for some USAF TOs.

Questions are:

1. New TMs for new USAF equipment calling for SGML vice XML.. what's up
with that? (i.e. where are they going with this, big USAF I mean?) Too much
$$$ in SGML infrastructure? Thought they'd be moving forward to XML on all
fronts, no? The end product appears to be 'indexed' PDFs with SGML file
deliverables.

2. I've always used GFE/GFI provided DTDs for both SGML and XML, and while
this appears to be the case here, there are a couple of 'peculiarities'
lurking.

a. Deliveries are both SGML and 'indexed' PDFs (meaning 'linked'? More on
this below)

b. SOW says we can use any SGML editor with their DTD (true), but they
also state their FOSIs were built for Datalogic only (which I've never
used.)

c. Now I need to buy freakin' 'Datalogics'? -at- !? I know nothing of
'Datalogics.' (and I'm already old enough to remember using Interleaf)

3. Using Arbortext for SGML - will it play nice in the sandbox with this
stuff? (Specifically:)

a. No screen FOSI (have worked without one a lot - so not too concerned -
mebbe pay Jerry Tippee to dummy us up a basic screen FOSI for the DTD)

b. What is the likelihood that I can get a decent PDF out of this without
too much wailing and gnashing of teeth? (Arbortext's PrintComposer?)

c. What is the likelihood that the PDF will come out with the links
working properly? (not holding my breath on this one)

d. Or will I need to buy some Datalogics product to process my Arbortext
edited SGML into a decent (delivery quality) PDF?

All thoughts and insights welcome. Let me know what y'all think.

Thanks in advance for all reads and replies.

Bob W.

Bristol RI, US

Tech Research Group Inc.

2377 Pawtucket Avenue, East Providence RI 02914

TEL 401.434.4680 (Office)

TEL 401.500.2286 (Mobile)

EMAIL <mailto:Robert -dot- Williams -at- TechResearchGroup -dot- Com>
Robert -dot- Williams -at- TechResearchGroup -dot- Com

Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ