RE: FrameMaker Question

Subject: RE: FrameMaker Question
From: Fred Ridder <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: Margaret Cekis <margaret -dot- cekis -at- comcast -dot- net>, 'William Sherman' <bsherman77 -at- embarqmail -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 02:18:47 -0400

Margaret Cekis wrote:

> Another fun anomaly of Word tables is that you cannot have a tab in a cell,
> because the tab (like in Excel) advances you to the next cell.

This is simply not true. Of course Word tables can contain tabs. The paragraphs inside a table have the same properties as any other Word paragraph, including support for tabs. What *is* true is that pressing the Tab key by itself does not insert a tab when the insertion point is inside a table. Instead, you have to press Ctrl+Tab.

And a useful "anomaly" of Word tables that is another exception to your generalization is that if the insertion point is in the last cell of a table, pressing Tab will add a new, empty row to the bottom of the table.

But none of this has anything to do with the original query which related to the behavior of FrameMaker in structured (XML) mode. The table model of unstructured FrameMaker is completely different than Word's table model, and the XML table model in structured FrameMaker imposes additional differences.

-Fred Ridder

Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ