Re: Is a new firmware version a "feature"?

Subject: Re: Is a new firmware version a "feature"?
From: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: Beverly Robinson <beverly_robinson -at- datacard -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2013 10:00:51 -0700

The reason it matters is that not everyone installs every new firmware update. If your computer's model has been out for a few years, it's probably had a BIOS update, but do a search on "should I update my BIOS" and you'll see that the overwhelming consensus is that you shouldn't unless a newer one fixes a problem you're having or adds something you need. Because a failed firmware update can convert most any piece of equipment into either an expensive doorstop or an expensive service call, along with expensive down time. So for every firmware update, there's someone out in installed base browsing the release notes asking "why should I want to install this?"

Gene Kim-Eng

On 8/9/2013 7:21 AM, Beverly Robinson wrote:

I don't understand the need to categorize new features by whether they need the new firmware. If I have been waiting for a certain new feature and will start using it as soon as possible, whether that feature needs new firmware is not important.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ