best current books for teaching tech writing?

Subject: best current books for teaching tech writing?
From: Laura Lemay <lemay -at- lauralemay -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com (techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 12:27:42 -0800

I had a developer co-worker timidly ask me this morning about books for learning technical writing, because he wants to do more of it.

Although my first reaction was "wow, books, how 1990s," I do want to encourage my eager developer. I am, however, a good 25
years out of technical writing school, and I don't have a clue what the kids are doing these days.

Do any of you have recommendations for good, practical books on tech writing? This guy doesn't necessarily need a rundown on current tools and/or structure, but is probably looking for general best practices for understanding your audience, organizing your thoughts, be correct/concise/clear, etc.

Learn more: