Re: Critique of a sample

Subject: Re: Critique of a sample
From: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Janoff, Steven" <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- ga -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 12:39:05 -0800

The positioning looks fine to me. Top/bottom won't be as potentially
confusing to some readers as other layouts might be if you end up
localizing the poster to languages that read in different directions. WRT
time periods, I would think the larger circle should represent the
longest process chain if the two are not the same?

If you end up having to depict branching processes, you probably can't go
wrong with the format of the London Underground map. It seems work for all
manner of things, and readers of all languages seem to be able to follow it.

Gene Kim-Eng

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 12:07 PM, Janoff, Steven <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- ga -dot- com>wrote:

> Oh, I will say that -- to show your point is a good one about the test --
> I did struggle with whether to make the circles equal in size. Also
> relative position: inside vs. outside, top vs. bottom vs. left or right,
> concentric vs. intersecting. It was really quite a challenge. Also,
> different configurations resulted in different directions of things: left
> to right vs. right to left, clockwise vs. counterclockwise. It was
> incredibly challenging to make everything work together, like watchmaking.
> I think we ended up with a fairly good piece, although I think there's a
> more optimal solution that we didn't have time to reach. There was also an
> issue with relative time periods that we couldn't quite resolve. It's like
> a math problem. (I also experimented with different shapes other than the
> circle, but kept coming back.)
Doc-To-Help: new website, content widgets, and an output that works on any screen.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/1eRs4NS