Re: Where to place the word "optional" in heading text

Subject: Re: Where to place the word "optional" in heading text
From: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
To: Hannah Drake <hannah -at- formulatrix -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 10:30:04 -0700

Generally I prefer *not* to put "optional" in headings but instead to
put a more detailed explanation after the heading, such as "This
command is available only if you have installed the whatsit module"
with some explanation of why you'd want to buy the module.

When I have had a reason to put it in the heading, I put it in
parentheses at the end, so that it's easier to read and emphasize the
primary information over the secondary fact that it's optional.

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 10:20 AM, Hannah Drake <hannah -at- formulatrix -dot- com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just curious where you place the word "optional" in headings. We're listing
> key features for a product, and some are optional. Marketing wants to put
> optional at the beginning "Optional Cool Thing" and I want to do this:
> "Cool Thing (Optional)".
>
> My reason: If someone reads optional, then they automatically pay less
> attention to the feature because they may or may not purchase it. His
> reason: he was told that parenthetical text should not exist because if
> something is worth saying at all then it shouldn't be in parenthesis. I
> have heard his argument before and generally agree, but I disagree for this
> use.
>
> What do you all think?
>
> -Hannah
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Doc-To-Help 2014 v1 now available. SharePoint 2013 support, NetHelp enhancements, and more. Read all about it.
>
> Learn more: http://bit.ly/NNcWqS
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as robert -at- lauriston -dot- com -dot-
>
> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>
>
> Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
> http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources and info.
>
> Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our online magazine at http://techwhirl.com
>
> Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Doc-To-Help 2014 v1 now available. SharePoint 2013 support, NetHelp enhancements, and more. Read all about it.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/NNcWqS

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- web -dot- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com


Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources and info.

Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our online magazine at http://techwhirl.com

Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives


Follow-Ups:

References:
Where to place the word "optional" in heading text: From: Hannah Drake

Previous by Author: Re: What would you call this?
Next by Author: Re: Fun: 15 High-Paying Jobs for People Who Don't Like Stress
Previous by Thread: Where to place the word "optional" in heading text
Next by Thread: Re: Where to place the word "optional" in heading text


What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads


Sponsored Ads