Re: LinkedIn invitations - accept "unpersonalized" ones ?

Subject: Re: LinkedIn invitations - accept "unpersonalized" ones ?
From: Mark Giffin <mgiffin -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: Monique Semp <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>, TechWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 08:38:34 -0700

Up until recently I ignored invitations from people I didn't know. It would be nice if they personalized the invite but I've never seen someone do that.

Lately I have started responding by emailing them back and nicely asking them why they want to connect. I tell them I don't know much about LinkedIn (true) and maybe they can help me, etc. Only one guy has responded to this so far. He said that he recently got on LinkedIn and shared his Gmail contacts with LinkedIn (I would never freaking do that!) and then LinkedIn sent out HUNDREDS of invites to his contacts!!!!! I was apparently somewhere in his contacts but we don't know each other. So I did not connect with him.

Wouldn't it be nice if LinkedIn documentation clearly explained all this? (If if does please send me a link!)

Mark Giffin

On 7/21/14 7:19 AM, Monique Semp wrote:

[...]
So two questions:

1. When youâre on the receiving end of invitations, do you treat them any differently based on whether theyâve been personalized? Why or why not?

2. When you send invitations, why or why not do you choose to personalize the message?

Just wondering,
-Monique

Read about how Georgia System Operation Corporation improved teamwork, communication, and efficiency using Doc-To-Help | http://bit.ly/1lRPd2l