RE: What folks today don't know...!

Subject: RE: What folks today don't know...!
From: "Al Geist" <al -at- geistarts -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2014 09:50:05 -0400

I wrote highly detailed installation, operation, programing and service
manuals using Word. The documents ranged from 50 to over 500 pages and I had
very few problems with Word. The documents were full of linked references.
One thing I did not reference however were images. They were all imbedded
because I didn't have total control over the location in the servers where
my images would be stored. (I was in Vermont and later Michigan and the
servers were in Germany.)

As for being viewed as "unnecessary overhead," it comes with the territory.
In my last position however, I was elevated to senior management level. That
was because the VP of Operations understood the need for good documentation.
Our customers were chip makers and shoddy docs often meant wasted
wafers......and that meant a lot of money.

" Restricting the use of tools to Word because everyone has it, borders on
stupidity, incompetence, arrogance, and corporate malfeasance..."
Hmm....interesting....totally wrong, but that is your opinion. I've worked
at companies who relied totally on Frame and found their docs to be no
better than those created in Word.....and most of the companies I've worked
at were run by people who were neither stupid, incompetent, or arrogant. In
fact, in my over 50 years as a tech writer, I've found just the opposite.

Just my opinion and my experience....

Al Geist-Geist Arts
Fine Art Photography
Mobile: 231-301-5770
E-mail: al -at- geistarts -dot- com
Website: www.geistarts.com
Facebook: Geist Arts
See Also:
Technical Communication, Help, Documentation Management

"...I walked to work, quit my job, and kept walking. Better to be a pilgrim
without a destination, I figured, than to cross the wrong threshold each
day." (Sy Safransky)