Re: Thoughts on transitioning from one contract to another

Subject: Re: Thoughts on transitioning from one contract to another
From: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: Ed <glassnet -at- gmail -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 10:06:32 -0700

There aren't any hard and fast rules here, it's all what is in your best interests. As a contract worker, you are in the ultimate "looking out for Number One" situation, so any thoughts you may have about pay rates or not leaving one client in the lurch in favor of another should only be based on what the potential positives or negatives might be for YOU.

Also, remember that when you are placed by a "body shop," THAT is your employer, not the client whose work you are actually doing.

Now, this is just me at my current place in life and is not meant as advice to you, but if an employer that had previously RIF'ed me from a full time direct position offered me temp work, I'd turn it down flat. Unless I knew they couldn't find anyone else who could do it, in which case I'd soak them for at least double what they were paying me before they showed me the door.

Gene Kim-Eng

On 9/27/2014 9:10 AM, Ed wrote:

1. If hourly rate for Employer A was X, would you ever accept less than X?
I realize that a fair rate would be X + 25%, or more, but not expecting
that kind of offer. Money has not been discussed at all.

2. Would you discuss this at all with Employer B, or the work supervisor?
Or, just give 2 weeks notice if and when this becomes an issue.

Read about how Georgia System Operation Corporation improved teamwork, communication, and efficiency using Doc-To-Help | http://bit.ly/1lRPd2l