Re: issue with graphics imported into FrameMaker 8

Subject: Re: issue with graphics imported into FrameMaker 8
From: Steven Jong <stevefjong -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L Digest <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2014 11:33:00 -0400

It sounds like your original template is corrupted in some way, which is the first thing that comes to mind when you say things have changed all of a sudden with no other change. Good luck with that!

I would abandon GIF format. It is an obsolete “lossy” format, devised for an earlier era of low-bandwidth Internet traffic, that compresses files by removing information and tricking the eye into thinking the data is still there. Almost any format today is better.

I would go with PNG format, which is not proprietary or platform-specific like the otherwise-seviceable BMP format. I would also explore SVG for non-bitmap images (diagrams, flowcharts, and so forth). If your tools and display environment support SVG, then those images can be viewed at any magnification and still stay sharp.

Read about how Georgia System Operation Corporation improved teamwork, communication, and efficiency using Doc-To-Help | http://bit.ly/1lRPd2l