Re: Large Documents in Word

Subject: Re: Large Documents in Word
From: Ed <glassnet -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Lin Sims <ljsims -dot- ml -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2014 13:04:46 -0500

I've successfully handled large documents in Word for the last decade. Most
docs were 250-500 pages.

I worked with writers who could frag the simplest of tasks. The conclusion
I've come to is that we need some skill, but also must want to get better
at it. Most corp-bots don't want to learn your craft.

Recently I established a template, and developed a method of capturing
content. The engineers mostly could see the skill I brought to the task.
When I left, only one younger engineer had any hope of editing or adding
new content without butchering the docs I created. I think you just have to
accept the new direction, do what you can, and not go aground when SME
blows up a doc.

Starting each day with a copy that is date-stamped is a good practice. I
highly recommend it.

It sounds as if your company believes SME edits in the source will save
time. In time it will, if the personnel all stick around long enough.
Read about how Georgia System Operation Corporation improved teamwork, communication, and efficiency using Doc-To-Help | http://bit.ly/1pJ4zPa