Re: Policies & Procedures Manual questions

Subject: Re: Policies & Procedures Manual questions
From: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 15:05:00 -0500

It depends, somewhat, on the purpose of the manual. If it is to sit on a shelf then the organization and perhaps even the content do not matter, as long as it fills the requirements. ("This book fills a much-needed gap in the literature.")

If people are going to use it as a catechism, quoting the rule without understanding, the justification can be buried.

If the readers will need to understand the justification before they have much hope of buying into the rule, the two should be together.

As an example of this last kind of document, I remind myself of the NFPA's National Electrical Code or of "Dangerous Properties of Industrial Materials" by Irving Sax, both of which provide at least some degree of justification for their safety rules.

The last time I wrote a P&P Manual it was a "useless" but required book, but in the course of developing it I discovered that the client had no procedure for retrieving door keys from terminated employees. The powers that beed quickly wrote one.

On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 14:21:10 -0500, Cardimon, Craig <ccardimon -at- m-s-g -dot- com> wrote:

Hello, Whirlers,

I am putting together a Policies & Procedures Manual, which is proceeding nicely.

I have been asked to include some justifications, which I will be given, for said procedures.

My questions involve *how* to include them:

1. Should I put the justification for the procedure directly after the procedure? This is what I'm planning to do right now.

2. Should I put all justifications in a separate section?

3. Should I put all justifications in a separate document?

4. If the justifications go into the same document, should the name of the document be changed to Policies, Procedures, & Justifications? I'm thinking no.
Doc-To-Help: The Quickest Way to Author and Publish Online Help, Policy & Procedure Guides, eBooks, and more using Microsoft Word | http://bit.ly/doctohelp2015