SharePoint design / electronic content management

Subject: SharePoint design / electronic content management
From: Robert Slack <robslackjr -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 13:11:53 -0500

I recently fell into the task of preparing a report of best practices on
how to build a "knowledge base" of technical papers and other materials for
a government client. The client seems especially interested in taxonomy and
search capability.

It's a strange project and not what I thought I was signing up for. As far
as I can tell, he's eventually going to want either a content management
system like Drupal or a document management system like SharePoint--or some
sort of hybrid.

I have two questions:

(1) Is it possible to design a SharePoint front end for publishing content
that is user friendly? Anyone know of any resources to talk to learn more
about SharePoint content delivery? (My experience has been that SharePoint
isn't great from a user interface perspective.)

(2) Are there better strategies for managing a library of technical
materials than a CMS or DM solution?

Many thanks for any help you can offer!

Rob
Doc-To-Help: The Quickest Way to Author and Publish Online Help, Policy & Procedure Guides, eBooks, and more using Microsoft Word | http://bit.ly/doctohelp2015