Re: publishing large numbers of docs to SharePoint Wiki pages

Subject: Re: publishing large numbers of docs to SharePoint Wiki pages
From: Jay Maechtlen <techwriter -at- laserpubs -dot- com>
To: Daniel Friedman <daniel -dot- friedman42 -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 12:40:07 -0800

On 1/28/2015 7:49 AM, Daniel Friedman wrote:

I have had a lot of experience with Sharepoint, and there was a similar thread on LinkedIn. I'll just copy my response here:

Thanks, that gives me some discussion topics for my SharePoint guy.
Where /which group was that discussion?

Thanks
Jay

Using SP to create a help system because it can do websites is like using excel as a database because it can do tables. Is it technically possible, yes, but it is going to suck for everyone involved.

Here are the top shortcomings (I am basing this on SP 2007, so MS may have updated some things by now):
1. Poor support for changing content formatting. You can't make custom styles in the default Sharepoint settings. And you want to stay the hell away from trying to edit the CSS for Sharepoint wikis. There are so many inherited stylesheets that create Sharepoint .asp pages, and you are very likely to break something and not be very popular with your Sharepoint admin.
2. No TOC or indexing support.
3. Poor search. May as well not exist. There is little point, IMO to having an online help system if people need to know the navigation tree for the website in order to find relevant content.

Based on the above, you're better off making manuals using Word docs which will have proper TOCs and you can take advantage of Sharepoint's version control and use check-in comments as a changelog for your documents.

--
Jay Maechtlen
626 444-5112 office

Doc-To-Help: The Quickest Way to Author and Publish Online Help, Policy & Procedure Guides, eBooks, and more using Microsoft Word | http://bit.ly/doctohelp2015