Author Prev][ Author Next][ Thread Prev][ Thread Next]
[ Author Index (this month)][ Thread Index (this month)][ Top of Archive]
âRe: Differentiating between software versions in help articles
Your question is excellent. Many factors come together to create problems
when updating online content:
* Between versions of the same product, typically 60-90% of content remains
* But we must keep back-versions live on the web for legacy customers.
* When customers search through your doc library, the scope of a customer's
search is key:
- Either search per publication (like webhelp, PDFs), or
- Search across all publications (modern knowledge base portals like
Suite Share, Fluid Topics, Confluence, MindTouch).
* In my experience, customers expect to search across all versions (thanks
to the flat world brought to us by Google et al).
* So searching a phrase often yields multiple (almost) duplicate search
results, which makes content harder to find.
âThere are several solutions to this problem:
1. Mark your content with metadata like the version number, product name,
audience type. Then allow customers to filter their searches with these
2. Choose a doc portal which can process search results to group very
similar items together into one entry, then sub-categorize by version
number (like Fluid Topics).
Adobe TCS 5: Get the Best of both worlds: modern publishing and best in class XML \ DITA authoring | http://adobe.ly/scpwfT
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- web -dot- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-
To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources and info.
Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our online magazine at http://techwhirl.com
Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives
Previous by Author:
Re: "Technical Writing: How to Break Into this Lucrative World"
Next by Author:
Re: Suitable applilcation to help build a glosary for CE translation
Previous by Thread:
RE: Sad is...
Next by Thread:
Re: âRe: Differentiating between software versions in help articles
Top of Archive] |
[ Author Index (this month)] |
[ Thread Index (this month)]
What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:
Search our Technical Writing Archives & Magazine
Visit TechWhirl's Other Sites