RE: Backpan or backplane?

Subject: RE: Backpan or backplane?
From: "Bill Darnall" <billdarnall -at- writingandtraining -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 06:39:31 -0700

The SCADA industry uses the term backpan. Backpans are usually made of
plywood. Electronic units can be physically mounted on the backpan.
Consequently, there may be associated cables and connectors. However, one
does not plug anything into the backpan the way one does for a wired

Search "scada AND backpan" for many references.


To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Subject: Re: Backpan or backplane?

I've only ever seen "backplane," which is an industry-standard term
correctly used. Gene sees an existing definition for "backpan" which

Is there a difference between the backplane that servers or blades connect
to and the backplane that cards within a server/blade connect to? Does the
engineer dream of making a product of and trademarking "backpan"? If not, I
say stick with "backplane."

Adobe TCS 5: Get the Best of both worlds: modern publishing and best in class XML \ DITA authoring |


You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- web -dot- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit for more resources and info.

Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our online magazine at

Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public email archives @


Re: Backpan or backplane?: From: Comcast Email

Previous by Author: RE: Backpan or backplane?
Next by Author: Re: Replacement for "mix-and-match"
Previous by Thread: Re: Backpan or backplane?
Next by Thread: Re: Backpan or backplane?

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads