Re: Using Auto Screen Shot Tools ~ Are They Helpful?

Subject: Re: Using Auto Screen Shot Tools ~ Are They Helpful?
From: Mike Starr <mike -at- writestarr -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 22:38:02 -0500

I don't see any time savings at all if one has to make a note as to what the image with the autoassigned file name actually shows.

With MS Paint:

1. Launch MS Paint (one time only)
2. In the program you're documenting: {Alt} + {F4}
3. {Alt} + {Tab} to MS Paint
4. {Ctrl} + V
5. {Ctrl} + S
6. Type file name
7. Press {Enter}
8. {Ctrl} + N (create new blank MS Paint document)
9. {Alt} + {Tab} to the program you're documenting
10. Lather, rinse, repeat

I haven't timed it but my experience would indicate that should take about four seconds. If we're in a profession where this process taking four seconds is worthy of criticism, then it's time to apply for a piecework job out on the shop floor. Jill, I'd say your method is better because don't have to take notes if you name the files appropriately immediately.

Best Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Starr, Writer
Technical Writer - Online Help Developer - WordPress Websites

On 4/13/2015 8:44 PM, Gene Kim-Eng wrote:

Depends on what your current method is. If it's PrintScreen, paste into Paint and then save, you'll save the time you're presently spending on pasting and saving. But instead of naming each capture individually during the save you'll have to make a note somewhere of what each of the autonamed captures are. So you might save a few seconds off each grab.
Adobe TCS 5: Get the Best of both worlds: modern publishing and best in class XML \ DITA authoring | http://adobe.ly/scpwfT