Re: New writer looking for advice

Subject: Re: New writer looking for advice
From: Mike Starr <mike -at- writestarr -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 12:01:45 -0500

I have been using Dell Latitudes for the last 16 years and have been very pleased with them. I bought one new from Dell, one refurbished from Dell, and one refurbished from redtag.com. One advantage to me with respect to Dell is that one can browse eBay and find a multitude of parts and accessories (mostly refurbished off-lease stuff) at really good prices. When I'm using a laptop, I always get at least two docking stations, one for my home office and one to take with me if I'm expected to use my own laptop on a contract assignment. I've gotten them for ~$15 each on eBay. If you buy a docking station on eBay, make sure it comes with a power supply so you don't have to run off battery when using the laptop with the docking station. That way I can leave all my accessories, network cable, keyboard, mouse, and an external monitor hooked up... just have to undock the laptop and go. I pretty much always use a large external monitor. It's a lot better than the laptop's screen alone.

Best Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Starr, Writer
Technical Writer - Online Help Developer - WordPress Websites

On 4/17/2015 8:02 AM, carolyn223 palo wrote:

Thank you for this info -

Wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a laptop? In speaking with
the program manager at the school I'll be attending - she advised PC not
Mac. I have an older HP desktop at home - but if there is something out
there in a laptop I should be checking out I'm all ears. I will be
bringing this to class also.
Adobe TCS 5: Get the Best of both worlds: modern publishing and best in class XML \ DITA authoring | http://adobe.ly/scpwfT