Re: New writer looking for advice

Subject: Re: New writer looking for advice
From: Margaret Cekis <margaret -dot- cekis -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: carolyn223 palo <carolynpalo -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 15:54:18 +0000 (UTC)

Carolyn Palo asked for laptop advice:
"Wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a laptop? In speaking with
the program manager at the school I'll be attending - she advised PC not
Mac. I have an older HP desktop at home - but if there is something out
there in a laptop I should be checking out I'm all ears. I will be
bringing this to class also."
Carolyn:
Ask the school's program manager if she has a list of minimum computer specs or recommendations. Then check out any "big box" electronic stores (like Best Buy or Frys) or office supply stores (like Staples or Office Max) that sell a variety of office computers. See which brands have screens and keyboards you like, and what different wide-screen, light-weight, and gaming laptops look and feel like (in person).
Also look at the major players' (HP, Dell, Gateway) online sites to compare specifications and prices. You can also check out TigerDirect.com and Newegg.com, which sell many brands of computers, TVs, and other electronics products, primarily online (but may have a store in your area). You will find prices ranging from a few hundred dollars to a couple of thousand. If your budget is very tight, you can also find reconditioned laptops from the major makers that will also serve you well. (You can also sign up for email from all these places to be notified when your selected dream computer will be on sale --or get enough email to send you into information overload!)
Note that as a college student, you may qualify for student discounts on Microsoft and other software products. Ask about that before you buy the software.
Margaret Cekis, Johns Creek GA
Adobe TCS 5: Get the Best of both worlds: modern publishing and best in class XML \ DITA authoring | http://adobe.ly/scpwfT